Intra/Inter District Transfer Information

  • Intra or Inter? What's the difference?


    Intra - Intradistrict transfer is a transfer from one school to another school within the same school district.

    Inter - Interdistrict transfer is a transfer from one school district to another school district.


    The Intra-district transfer request window for the 2024-2025 school year opens on January 8, 2024, and closes on February 29, 2024.   

    • The Intra-district transfer request window for the 2024-25 school year is CLOSED.


    • For those who turned in their intra-district requests during the open window, you will be notified of placement offers via mail by the end of April 2024. 



    Interdistrict Transfers

    Interdistrict Release Out Permits for the current school year are available and processed throughout the school year. A parent or legal guardian of a student residing in the Sonoma Valley Unified School District (SVUSD) school boundary may request a transfer for that student to attend school in another district by obtaining an approved Interdistrict Attendance Permit application form. The Interdistrict Attendance Permit must be completed and submitted to the Educational Services Department located at the Sonoma Valley Unified School District, 17850 Railroad Avenue, Sonoma, CA 95476 in person, or emailed to Once the application has been processed, it is forwarded to the requested district for their approval. Questions regarding the status or processing of the Interdistrict Permit will need to be directed to the requested District.

    Families are required to register their student at their school of residence in the event that the Interdistrict Attendance Permit cannot be granted.

    Depending on the District you are requesting enrollment in, you may be required to renew the Permit each school year. It is important to know that an Interdistrict Attendance Permit can be revoked at any time during the school year for non-compliance.

    To request a transfer to another school district, please complete the form below:

    Interdistrict Transfer Form (English) 

    Interdistrict Transfer Form (Spanish)



    For questions regarding Inter- and Intra- District transfers, please contact:

    Jillian Beall, Director of Education Services - / (707) 935-6000 ext. 4630 

    Treytcy De Haro Martinez, Child Welfare and Attendance Specialist - / 707-933-4038