The Middle School Writing Center project stemmed from a pressing need to strengthen high school students’ writing skills. With the implementation of Common Core State Standards and the need for more complex writing skills, a group of community members and parents proposed the idea of a writing support center at Sonoma Valley High School. High school teachers suggested that writing support in the middle schools might instead be a better place to begin. We agree!
The Writing Center got off to a smashing start since its launch in the 2016-17 school year. (Read the Sonoma Index-Tribune story here.)
At the Adele Harrison Writing Center offers the following:
- Students who need extra support attend the writing center by the classroom teacher for support.
- Coordination among English Language Arts (ELA) teachers and writing center coordinator to schedule in-class support or out of class small group support.
- Current project-- a small group from each class period attends for 45 minutes to work on short term projects.
- Lunchtime support for Journalism Club.
- Pro-active advertising for ‘drop-in’ support for essay contests or Writer’s Faire submissions.
- Themed writing projects and publications.